WHY BECOME A MEMBER OF FAITH UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST?
As a disciple of Jesus Christ, you are called to be part of Christ’s body, the church. While there are many expressions of Christ's body, we all need to be committed somewhere. By joining Faith UCC you are choosing to build the body of Christ in this location, with these people, for this season of your life.
WHAT CHANGES WHEN YOU BECOME A MEMBER?
- You have moved your priority from your personal preferences to the mission of Jesus Christ. As a guest, you were served by the church. As a member, you serve others through the church.
- You can vote at Congregational Meetings. This includes voting on the leadership of Faith UCC, the calling or dismissing of its Pastor, approving the budget & special expenses and voting on the bylaws of the church.
- You can serve on the Governing Board (GB). This small team is responsible for high-level long-term planning, development of policy and holding the Pastor accountable. The terms are for four years.
FOUR REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A MEMBER
- Commitment to our Vision, Mission, and Values. Our vision is to bring diverse people together to learn how to love like Jesus. Our mission is to lead people to a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. Our three core values are: 1) Intentional Relationships; 2) Growing Faithfulness; 3) Servant Leadership.
- Complete a class on spiritual growth Currently, our church is offering two classes that qualify. One is the 3-week class titled, Next Steps for Spiritual Growth. The other is the 6-week class titled Irresistible.
- Read “I am a Church Member”. This short book will provide an outline of the basic attitudes of a healthy church member. After finishing the book Pastor Scott will meet with you to discuss its contents.
- Record video testimony. Don’t be afraid, you can do this! You will be asked four simple questions: (1) Why Jesus Christ? (2) Why join Faith United Church of Christ? (3) Why join now? (4) What will you do now? Your video will be shared and celebrated in worship on the Sunday you join or soon after.
FIVE EXPECTATIONS OF MEMBERS
- Active in growing spiritually. Disciples of Jesus are never finished growing. Members will participate in classes, Bible studies, ministries and personal spiritual practices of prayer and Bible reading.
- Regular in attending worship. Worship is our most basic form of ministry. Your presence increases the power of worship for others. Your participation is an expression of love for God and God’s church.
- Faithful with financial support. Money is often the last area where we trust God. Jesus teaches us the four Ps of giving: private, priority, percentage and progressive.
- Committed to servant leadership. Jesus teaches that serving others is the most direct way to serve yourself. Members will serve the church and our community through the church.
- A balanced life. A healthy church member will strive not to over-function in the church nor under-function.